When working with brittle and thin material, it can be difficult to find the right fastener. This is where rivet nuts come in. They are especially useful when one side is inaccessible. ATLAS Rivet Nuts by Penn Engineering are here to save you time, and HTF is standing by to get them to you when you need them.
No more headaches when it comes to choosing the right fastener for your application. HTF has a global reach with industry-leading inventory and shipping times, which is strengthened by relationships with brands like Penn Engineering. Now, let’s take a look at ATLAS Rivet Nuts and the various types offered.
Rivet nuts are fasteners used in sheet material when one side is not accessible. These threaded rivets are reusable and strong. They are especially helpful in applications where a nut and bolt would have been used in the past. Having a blind threaded rivet to install without needing multiple pieces or access to the opposite side of the sheet material makes installation fast and relatively easy. There are many types of ATLAS Blind Threaded Rivets available for most applications. Their types and recommended uses will be covered below to make sure you have all the information needed to choose the best rivet nuts for your application.
Types of Rivet Nuts
Full Metric Rivet Nuts
ATLAS’s Full Metric (FM) Rivet Nuts are designed to meet the European standard design. Zinc clear is the standard finish on these inserts and the size of the installation hole is full metric. Here are all the different types of ATLAS FM Rivet Nuts available from Penn Engineering.
- Round Body: Flat Head — Type AEFR with a flat head allows for high load applications.
- Round Body: Thin Head — Type AETR allows near-flush installations with no need for special hole preparations.
- Knurled, Round Body: Flat Head — Type AEFK has a knurled body for high torque applications and the flat head design allows for high load application.
- Knurled, Round Body: Thin Head — Type AETK has a knurled body for high torque applications and allows near-flush installations with no need for special hole preparations.
- Semihex Body, Hex Counterbore: Flat Head — Type AEFH has a flat head design for high load applications and a semihex body for improved torque-out resistance.
- Semihex Body, Hex Counterbore: Thin Head — Type AETH has a semihex body for improved torque-out resistance and allows near-flush installations with no need for special hole preparations.
- Hex Body, Round Counterbore: Flat Head — Type AEFHH has a full hex feature for high torque applications and a flat head design for high load applications.
- Hex Body, Round Counterbore: Thin Head — Type AETHH has a full hex feature for high torque applications and allows near-flush installations with no need for special hole preparations.
- Round Body: Countersunk Head — Type AECR has a countersunk head, which allows the insert to be installed flush with the sheet surface.
- Knurled, Round Body: Countersunk Head — Type AECK has a countersunk head, which allows the insert to be installed flush with the sheet surface. It also has a knurled body for high torque applications.
- Semihex Body, Stainless: Thin Head — Type AETHC is a stainless steel insert for superior corrosion resistance. It allows near-flush installations with no need for special hole preparations.
ATLAS SpinTite types are ideal when strong threads are needed for blind applications. They are installed from one side only of the material with the spin-spin method of installation. These inserts benefit from minimum inventory requirements and strong pull-out and torque-out strength. Each size of SpinTite insert can work with many material thicknesses.
- AEL Low-Profile Head inserts feature a large diameter, low-profile head and knurled shank and offer the highest all-around strength.
- Minimized-Profile Head Insert has a minimized-profile head and knurled shanks allowing a near-flush installation with no need for special hole preparations such as countersinking or dimpling.
- AEH Half-Hex Shank Low-Profile Head Insert features a hex body design and improved torque-out resistance.
- AEO Thin-Wall Low-Profile Head Insert has a low-profile head design which allows this insert to have a near-flush installation.
- AET 360 Swaging Low-Profile Head Insert works in any thickness over .029 in./0.76 mm including blind applications. It has a minimal backside protrusion for restricted space applications.
- AEW 360 Swaging Low-Profile Head Insert features knurls under the head of the insert to increase spinout resistance and work in any thickness over .062 in./1.57 mm including blind applications. It also features a minimal backside protrusion.
- AES Blind Threaded Studs provide strong external threads in blind applications. These are available with the MAThread anti cross-threading feature.
MaxTite Rivet Nuts
ATLAS MaxTite rivet nuts are the heavy duty line of inserts designed for the most demanding applications. They are installed from one side using the spin-pull technique and tools.
- Countersunk Head — Unified is designed for high load applications and allows the fastener to be installed flush with the sheet surface.
- Countersunk Head — Metric is also designed for higher load applications and flush installation with the sheet material.
- FlatHead — Unified is available with rib, key, or full hex features for high-torque applications.
- FlatHead — Metric is available with rib, key, or full hex features for high-torque applications.
Plus+Tite Rivet Nuts
ATLAS Plus+Tite inserts feature a four-petal slotted body that folds when installed to grip the backside of the application material. These inserts can be installed in single, variable, and multiple thickness materials.
- Pre-Bulbed Insert is designed for superior pullout resistance in plastics and thin sheet metal. The pre-bulbed design requires less installation load.
- Straight Shank Insert is designed for superior pullout resistance in plastics and thin sheet metal with a straight shank design used for smaller mounting holes.
Conventional threaded fasteners can prove very difficult upon installation, especially with thin sheet material. This is due to not enough material for the threaded bolts to secure with a strong hold causing concerns for fastener pull-out strength. Pull-out strength is the measurement of the force needed to pull a fastener out of the material in which it has been secured.
The purpose of rivet nuts is to ensure that pull-out damage does not occur, and it is accomplished in many ways. Rivet nuts stay where they are installed because the connection into thin material is much stronger than conventional bolts and nuts. The main benefit of rivet nuts over other fasteners is the one-sided access, which was previously mentioned. Other fasteners like clinch and weld nuts require access to both sides of the application. This also cuts down on the amount of material making up the fastener and improves costs.
A big advantage of rivet nuts is the way they work when installed into a hole-in material. Rivet nuts radially swell to the shape of the hole in which they are being installed, preventing weakening of the material and the joint itself by vibration and use over the lifetime of the application.
The design of the rivet nut allows for the connection of two different materials without losing the strength to prevent pull-out. With the different options listed above it is possible to select the right rivet nut for the materials you’re joining so that the clamp load is appropriate for the material, which will increase the overall joint strength and limit damage to the sheet material.
The final reason for using rivet nuts instead of conventional fasteners is the ability to tailor the design for applications in a way that increases its strength and lessens the opportunity for pull-out damage in softer materials.
HTF and ATLAS Rivet Nuts
With more than 30 years in the fastening business, HTF is your leader for fast, same-day shipping on all your rivet nut needs. HTF carries the full line of Penn Engineering ATLAS Threaded Rivet Nuts. Reach out to us with your questions today, we’re here to help you match the proper rivet nut design with your application.